The English title of the book is “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time”, the German one, however, is “Supergute Tage oder Die sonderbare Welt des Christopher Boone”. Decide for yourself which title you prefer (i.e. which one convinces you most, now that you know what happens in the book). Find arguments that support your opinion. Write an argumentative statement of roughly 150 words.


The German title of the book “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time“ is “Supergute Tage oder Die sonderbare Welt des Christopher Boone”. I like both titles because both tell us something about a part of the book but not the entire story. The English title causes more tension and curiosity for what is in the book, whereas the German one really sounds like a title of a children’s story. So if I saw the German version of the book in a bookstore I would not even touch it for the reason that I am not really interested in books for children. That means it would sure be a disadvantage for the number of sales which is a pity because I like the novel about Christopher Boone and others – even adults –would also. Maybe it had been better to translate exactly the English title into German.

(by Ly)


I would prefer the German title “Supergute Tage oder Die sonderbare Welt des Christopher Boone“, because it looks very interesting and special. I think the people think about this title and speak about it and so it is a vocal advertising from mouth to mouth. What the title says, predicts a special and a subnormal content of the story. The title speaks directly to the reader and forces him to get more information about the book. The English one is not so good, because I think the main role of Christopher Boone is put in the background.

The special world of Christopher Boone, that is the translation of the second part of the German title and I think Christopher sees our world in a special view, because of his Asperger-Syndrome and so the title is right for the content. So I think the German title is the best title.

(by Alexander)


I would prefer the English title. I think it sounds much more interesting. The German one - “Supergute Tage oder Die sonderbare Welt des Christopher Boone” would not make me interested in reading the book. It is too boring and it sounds similar to the title “Die zauberhafte Welt der Amelie” which is a film I do not like. Furthermore, I would say that the German title does not refer to the book really well. “Supergute Tage” is meant to advert to the aspect of having a super good day if you see several red cars in a row but this is not relevant for the story. Besides I do not like that the German title consists of two parts and each of them could be a complete title. I like that the English title “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time” refers to the story that the main character Christopher actually meant to write, even this was not the main idea of the book All in all I can say that the English title sounds better and refers more to the book.


(by Moritz)

0 comments



Post a Comment